Friday, July 13, 2007

Week 6, Thing #14

Technorati takes blogging to another level! It is somewhat overwhelming to see the huge number of blogs and posts that are out there. I think this is a great way to find posts and blogs on subjects of interest to me. For example, having just returned from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, I did a search of posts about it and actually found quite a few (873 to be exact.....some of which I left comments on). Tagging is definitely a plus for this type of search. I also added this search to my Watchlist, because I seem to be obsessed with Ashland!!

The most surprising thing to me was that after claiming my blog on Technorati, I discovered that I had an authority rating! I investigated that a bit, and discovered that every time my blog is mentioned in someone else's blog my authority rating goes up....an interesting concept. There were other blogs that have been listed with authority also.

I also noticed a number of posts that were just lists of keyword tags. I'm not sure what that is all about. It looks like those posts were designed to bring up commercial (or otherwise questionable) sites. That seems sleazy to me, and just serves to remind me that although we are here to learn new ways to connect and teach, there is a dark side lurking on the fringes.

No comments: